Sacred Heart Congregation (SH)
The Sacred Heart Congregation for women is a community of love, which took shape in Syro-Malabar Church in Kerala. The congregation was founded on 1st January 1911 by Servant of God Rev Fr. Mathew Kadalikkattil. Receiving four young women as members in a small house in the Diocese of Pala, Kerala, he consecrated that small community to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. They accommodated a few destitute women too with them and cared for them. They participated actively in the parish work of the Church. The Congregation got Ecclesiastical approval by Pope Pious XI on 23rd May 1935, on the same day Rev Fr. Mathew the Founder was called to his Eternal Rest.
Aim of the Congregation is that the members should live radically the discipleship of Christ, experiencing deeply the compassionate love of God the Father, manifested through the Sacred Heart of Jesus and sharing it with others, especially with the poor and the afflicted. The carisem of the Congregation is never ending adoration, praise, thanksgiving and reparation are offered to the Heavenly Father through the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The life, love and compassion the members experience through the Sacred Heart of Jesus, flow to others especially to the orphaned, the destitute, the distressed, the ignorant and non Christian brethren, for the sanctification of the members as well as others.
MOTTO: "Snehaya Danaya Cha Rakshanaya" ie Redemption through love and self-giving.
There are 11 Provinces and a Region. They render their services in 47 dioceses in India and abroad countries like Germany, Italy, Switzerland, America and Africa. Today there are 3570 professed sisters and 83 novices in their Congregation.
In 1969 the Exarch of Ujjain, Msgr. John Perumattam met Rev. Sr. John Baptist, the then Mother General of Pala (Individual Unit) and expressed the great need of Religious in the new Exarchate of Ujjain for the proclamation of the Gospel. She with her Councillors expressed their readiness to come to the Mission and sent 5 sisters to Ujjain. The main house of the congregation is S.H. Provincial House, Mendiya, Ujjain. There are 130 Professed Sisters and six Novices. There are nine centers in the Eparchy and sisters are engaged in care of the destitute, health care, education, social service, evangelization, care of the mentally challenged, parish work like catechizing and liturgical training.
S. H at a Glance
|Province's Professed Sisters||130|
|Convents in the eparchy of Ujjain||9|
|Members working in the eparchy||64|
Care of the destitute
Care of the mentally challenged
Parish work like catechizing and liturgical training