Missionaries of Charity (MC)
The religious institute of the Missionaries of Charity, the principal house of which is located in the Archdiocese of Calcutta (India), was founded in that ecclesiastical circumscription by Mother M Teresa Bojaxiu. It was erected into a religious Congregation of diocesan right on 7th October 1950 and elevated to the rank of pontifical right on 1st February 1965.
The specific aim of the Missionaries of the Charity is to labour for the salvation and sanctification of the poorest of the poor, not only in slums, but also all over the world wherever the image and likeness of God. There are almost 5029 sisters working in 137 countries in the 52 regions of the congregation.
With the aim of quenching the infinite thirst of Jesus on the cross for love of souls, by the profession of evangelical counsels and whole hearted free service to the poorest of the poor, Missionaries of Charity sisters, at the invitation of then Bishop Mar. John Perumattam, came to Ujjain on 16th June 1985. They are having just one house in the eparchy with a home for the dying destitute. At present there are 6 sisters rendering their valuable service to those least wanted people of the society. Besides, they are rendering their service in health care and welfare activities in the eparchy.
M. C at a Glance
|Convent in the eparchy of Ujjain||1|
|Members working in the eparchy||8|
Caring the dying destitute
Service among the poor